Envision Education is a charter management organization whose mission is to transform the lives of students’especially those who will be the first in their family to attend college’by preparing them for success in college, in career, and in life. Envision operates three small, high-performing urban public high schools in the Bay Area that teach students to think critically, collaborate productively, and communicate effectively.
A hallmark of the organization, Envision Education’s Portfolio & Defense system challenges its students to assemble evidence of their college readiness and, as a graduation requirement, to defend that portfolio of work before a panel. Our graduates go on to succeed in college at significantly higher rates than their peers; 98% attend college and 90% persist into their second year compared to the respective 60% and 70% national averages.
In addition to our schools, Envision operates Envision Learning Partners (ELP), a consultancy division whose nonprofit mission is for all students in the nation’especially those situated far from opportunity’to be engaged in and challenged by coherent performance assessment systems. We provide professional development, coaching, and assessment tools that improve teaching and learning and deliver meaningful outcomes for students. Our clients are schools, school districts, and state departments of education all across the country. Through our work, ELP has emerged as the go-to consultant and professional development provider in the area of performance assessment, as well as a nationally recognized thought leader in the growing movement for “deeper learning.”
Envision Learning Partners is currently seeking a Director of Business Development whose job is to grow this highly respected educational consulting service to a scale that matches its transformative mission. We’re looking for an individual with demonstrated success in selling services to schools, someone who can set ambitious but achievable goals for ELP’s growth and can orchestrate the reaching of those goals.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Cultivate school and district clients and close deals
- Identify new opportunities for positioning ELP’s services and products
- Develop partnerships and joint ventures that expand impact and grow revenue
- Work with the Executive Director to develop a plan for ELP’s growth
- Develop a sustainable revenue model for ELP’s services
- Develop and refine a marketing and branding strategy
- Identify and track metrics to measure the progress of our growth strategies
- Oversee budgeting and financial reporting for ELP
- Utilize and improve, as needed, ELP’s business systems, including Salesforce
- Participate in ELP team meetings and Envision-at-large convenings
- Travel as needed for business development opportunities, 12 times per month, often out-of-state
- Perform other responsibilities as needed
This position reports to the Executive Director of ELP and collaborates with the Envision Learning Partners team, including the Programs and Operations Senior Manager and Deeper Learning coaches. The role also interfaces with the Senior Manager of Grant and Communications and the CEO of Envision Education.
Candidate Profile and Requirements:
- BS or BA required, with strong academic record; graduate degree preferred in relevant field (e.g. MBA, Non-Profit Management, Policy, etc.).
- 5+ years of broad business development experience focused on executing strategy, project management, and building partnerships in a growing organization required; Experience in the non-profit sector preferred but not required.
- Deep knowledge or strong interest in education reform. Experience working directly with educators is preferable.
- Sales/customer orientation with a willingness and ability to articulate and sell Envision Learning Partners’ professional development model to others.
- Strong project management skills, including budget management, project planning, and time management skills.
- Demonstrated excellent technology skills including using project management software, Excel for budget and modeling, PowerPoint and Word.
- Ability to prioritize and manage work and trade-offs against critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Results and deadline-oriented, focused on big picture and important details, while maintaining a focused vision of impact
- Excellent writing and communication skills; ability to work effectively with cross functional team, including finance, communications, and development
- Ability to build strong and sustainable relationships and the capability to interact within all levels of an organization, both internal and external.
- Comfort level working with and presenting to senior level clients, board members, senior management, and staff.
This is a full-time position. Compensation is competitive based on experience. Strong benefits package offered includes: medical, dental, vision, paid sick/vacation, optional 403b, commuter check, and flexible benefits pre-tax deduction plans.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Director of Business in the subject line. Envision Education will invite select candidates for interviews. Interviews will continue until the position is filled. Hiring is contingent upon successful completion of employment verification and hiring process.
For more information on Envision Schools and Envision Learning Partners, visit our website: www.envisionschools.org
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.