Envision Education is seeking highly talented individuals to serve as
Learning Specialists (Special Education Teachers) for our schools
in the San Francisco Bay Area for the 2017-18 school year
Locations: Hayward, Oakland, and San Francisco
Special Education Program at Envision Education
Envision Education is looking for passionate Special Educators who are interested in being part of an innovative team and have a desire to support learning and post-secondary success for students in urban communities.
The Department of Special Education’s mission is for students with diverse learning needs to have access to supports that provide educational opportunity at a rigorous college prep high school. We believe that special education is a service not a place, and that all students have the right to be fully included in the general education classrooms with their typical peers for the greatest extent possible.
The role of Learning Specialist is that of collaborator, co-teacher, and coach, with opportunities to provide professional development and support Response to Intervention (RTI).
The Learning Specialist will stay current on regulations and best practices pertaining to special education.
- Be the leader of IEP teams, facilitator of IEP meetings, conduct assessments, prepare IEP reports and maintain inter-agency and district contacts regarding IEPs
- Understand guidelines for suspension and expulsion of students with IEPs and ensure procedural rights
- Develop and implement appropriate Behavior Intervention Plans.
- Create and maintain special education records
- With the student and family, develop transition plans beginning in 9th grade to cultivate college-going identity
- Provide instruction and support to students with special education needs to achieve IEP goals
- Guide the implementation of appropriate accommodations/modifications to ensure students’ learning success in the general education classroom
- Meet regularly with general education teachers to ensure access to learning in the core program and guide progress towards graduation standards and requirements
- Ensure appropriate accommodations/modifications for standardized testing
- Develop, coordinate and provide ongoing professional development activities for general and special education teachers
Successful candidates will
- Be committed to serving students in the least restrictive environment
- Create a Learning Center environment that is structured, positive and organized
- Communicate effectively with students and parents around goals and progress
- Mentor and support students and hold them to high academic and socio-behavioral standards
- Be a strong team member who is self-reflective, implements feedback, and consistently seeks to improve his/her practice
- Special Education experience
- California Teaching Credential with appropriate special education endorsement (Intern credentials accepted)
- Commitment to working with an ethnically, linguistically and economically diverse student body
Submit an online application BY CLICKING HERE.
Who We Are
Our mission is to transform the lives of students’especially those who will be first in their family to attend college’by preparing them for success in college, in careers, and in life.
At Envision Education, we believe the current achievement gap reflects a systemic failure to understand how kids learn, what motivates them to learn, and what they need in order to learn well. Our approach is specifically designed to increase student engagement, deepen integration and understanding, promote active learning, and ensure college success. Envision further distinguishes its campuses with:
- Economic, ethnic, and racial diversity,
- Rigorous academic discipline, and
- Excellence at every level.
Our educators create project-based assignments that challenge students to use the 21st Century skills of thinking critically, solving problems resourcefully, and collaborating productively that are needed to thrive in college, in future careers, and in life. Students have an opportunity to use these skills and show what they know through portfolio presentation and defenses. Similar to a dissertation, these presentations are required to graduate and are invaluable in preparing for life after high school. Read about our approach here: http://www.envisionschools.org/our-approach/
For more information about Envision Schools visit:
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.